February 5, 2013 was a day that will separate my life into the "before" and "after." The fifth of February - the day I learned that the word "cancer" would forever be a part of my life. It is my desire to live with Jesus Christ in the forefront of my life, and cancer in the background. The words in this blog are therapeutic to me. I hope that they will be uplifting to you. Blessings, Kathy Lollar

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

"NOW YOU KNOW HOW FRAGILE LIFE IS"

On February 17, 2003 in an Odessa delivery room, I had the honor of witnessing the birth of my grandson, Brennon.  The labor was done, the pushing was in full swing.  As a tiny head emerged, the silence of the moment was broken with the doctor's command to the nurse, "CORD!"  I touched the nurse's shoulder and asked, "What????  Did he say cord?"  At that point, things moved very quickly.  I watched in awe as this baby boy's little neck was freed from the lifeline that had kept him alive for nine months.  Soon after, my little guy began crying, but I was still stuttering from what I had witnessed, Dr. Lively's eyes raised to meet mine.  Through his surgical mask, he spoke these unforgettable words.  "Now you know how fragile life is!"  A few seconds later, we were happily counting little fingers and toes.

Days have passed;  weeks have blended into months; months into a full decade.  Once again, I have been reminded about just how fragile life is.  This time, I have come face to face with my own mortality.  My personality is that of a "fixer" of other's problems ....... suddenly I have become the one who has caused concern for myself and for those I love.  With the diagnosis of cancer, the trajectory of my life has been sent  into a spiral.

I am eternally grateful that my disease was discovered early.  Waldenstrom's macroglobulemia and I will co-exist.  My medical team and I will work hard to maintain that delicate balance that will keep me alive.  I am determined to live my life with Jesus Christ in the foreground and cancer in the background.  Thank The Lord, I am on my way to that end.

"Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow.  For what is your life?  It is even a vapor, that appears for a little time, and then vanishes away.  For you ought to say if the Lord will, we shall live."  James 4: 14-15

Now I know how fragile life is, and I am confident that I will never be the same!  

No comments:

Post a Comment