February 5, 2013 was a day that will separate my life into the "before" and "after." The fifth of February - the day I learned that the word "cancer" would forever be a part of my life. It is my desire to live with Jesus Christ in the forefront of my life, and cancer in the background. The words in this blog are therapeutic to me. I hope that they will be uplifting to you. Blessings, Kathy Lollar

Sunday, October 6, 2013

UNEXPECTED SIDE EFFECTS OF TREATMENT

She called it "Chemo Class."  My sweet nurse at West Texas Cancer Center gave me a crash course last week.  With only a few minutes to prepare for my first treatment, she explained all of the side effect possibilities.  It is not a pleasant list, I can tell you!

OVERWHELMED.  APPREHENSIVE.  VULNERABLE.

After the lab results arrived on Wednesday afternoon, things moved quickly, plans were made and appointments were set.  Phone calls and emails gave me my marching orders.  A six month cycle of two different drugs were selected to be my weapons and the battle would start immediately.   Now that I think about it, I was given absolutely no choice in any of it.  No one asked me my opinion.  No one asked my permission.  But that is probably for the best.  I have done my homework, I have sought the advice of trusted medical personnel.  I have studied and learned all that I can about my blood disorder and the possible treatments.  I just skipped over the part about life expectancy, because I believe that God is in control of that.  I refuse to even be influenced by those predictions.

Eight months of watching and waiting has prepared me for this day.  It seems selfish to say this, but waiting on cancer treatment has been incredibly difficult for me and for my family.   Don't get me wrong, I know that agressive cancer treatment can be devastating.  I know that I should count my blessings for this time of waiting, and I do.  But, the mind can be very cruel to a person who knows that cancer is multiplying and that absolutely NOTHING is being done to stop it.  Satan knows that he has no claim over me, because I belong to Jesus Christ.  But, destroying my confidence and stealing my joy...... that is where he can get a powerful foothold.  And he has accomplished that on occasion.

"Watch and Wait" ended at Friday, October 4 at 3:30 p.m.  Targeted drug therapy designed to go after the malignant cells was injected into my body.  Over the weekend, I reviewed the side effects list from chemo class.  So far, so good.  I am grateful that my body has accepted the first drug with only minimal reactions.  But, I have a few recommendations to add to the list for the next chemo class.

RELIEVED.  ENCOURAGED.  EMPOWERED.

I am relieved that the wait is over.  I am encouraged because of the success history of the drugs I am taking.   I am empowered with the knowledge that malignant cells are being destroyed even now as I type these words.  Bring on the weapons.  My God, my medical team, and I have got this!

Holy Father, Jehovah Rapha, Healer.  My body is your temple and I dedicate it to you.  Use the treatments designed by your children in the medical field for my good.  Give my doctors the wisdom and vision to prescribe exactly the right treatment plan for me. Guide the drugs to pinpoint and destroy the affected cells.  Protect my healthy cells from destruction.  Empower my stem cells to flourish and transform into the healthy cells that my body needs. Protect me from undesirable side effects from treatment.  During the time of a weakened immune system, protect me from illness.  Protect my lymph system and organs from infiltration.  Prevent my condition from the possibility of transforming into a more aggressive form of lymphoma.  Please do for me what I cannot do for myself.  Bless me with energy.  Give me the ability to go about my life and career in a normal way.  Help me to never, ever take health for granted again.  Now I know how fragile life is.  In the strong name of Jesus Christ, I thank you in advance for my healing.  I will sing of your love forever.


"And since we are his children, we will share his treasures - 
for everything God gives to his Son, Christ, is ours, too.
But if we are to share his glory, we must also share his suffering.  
Yet what we suffer now is nothing compared to the glory
he will give us later."
Romans 8:  17 - 18






2 comments:

  1. Knowing that Jehovah Raphah is your healer helps so much and thankfully you know Jehovah El Shaddai your all sufficient, more than enough, Jehovah Nissi your conqueror, banner, deliverer, Jehovah Jireh your provider, Jehovah Rohi your shepherd, Jehovah Shalom your peace and prosperity, Jehovah Elohim your creator, Jehovah Adonia your Lord & Master, Jehovah M'Kaddesh the one who sanctifies you and makes you holy, Jehovah Tsidkenu your righteousness and especially while you are fighting this battle Jehovah Shammah who is ever present! Thank you Jesus!!! You have many praying for you Kathy, a wonderful support system with your husband and family and friends and most of all knowing the King of Kings, Lord of Lords! I can't wait to hear your testimony as you go through this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy we lifted your name loud and proud this morning at Spirit of Joy! Many many of your prayer angels were asking about how your first treatment went and how you are. We will continue to pray and give God all the glory. Love you ......Pamela Bounds

    ReplyDelete