February 5, 2013 was a day that will separate my life into the "before" and "after." The fifth of February - the day I learned that the word "cancer" would forever be a part of my life. It is my desire to live with Jesus Christ in the forefront of my life, and cancer in the background. The words in this blog are therapeutic to me. I hope that they will be uplifting to you. Blessings, Kathy Lollar

Friday, October 4, 2013

WATCH AND WAIT BECOMES WAR

When I wrote my last post (The Shortest Blog Entry Yet), I really had an uneasy feeling.  I have always had a strong sense of intuition and it proved itself once again.  After tracking the "magic numbers" in my blood work for the past eleven months,  I have been aware that things were changing.  For the past few weeks, I just have not felt right.  In fact, after my lab, I stopped and visited with the personnel at the infusion center to discuss my future treatment possibilities.

Although I suspected that treatment was approaching, I was not prepared for the phone calls I received two days ago.  Phone call number one revealed that the IgM (protein) level in my blood had DOUBLED in the past four weeks.  Shock!  Disbelief!  The malignant cells in my plasma had a history of gradual increase.  Suddenly the game had changed!  Within the hour, my oncologists had collaborated and a plan was made.  Phone call number two revealed the battle plan.  Chemotherapy would begin in just two days.  Even the plan was a shock.  

All these months, my Houston doctor had told me to expect a four week treatment plan when needed.  My situation changed very quickly and, unfortunately, so did my treatment plan.  I am adjusting to the idea of blood work and chemo injections every Friday for six months.  I am reading the list of possible side effects and praying that I slide through without any.  

Today, I had my first injection (in the stomach!)  Next Friday, the six hour infusions begin.  

Tonight, I relax at home with my family.  I am a bit sore at the injection site, but other than that, I feel just fine.  This is all a bit overwhelming to me right now and I feel a somewhat disoriented.  Watch and Wait was good while it lasted.  We have now gone to war.  I hope to get through this with minimal battle scars.  I pray that the drugs do their work and once again, we will Watch and Wait.  

"The Lord will fight for you; 
you need only be still."
Exodus 14: 14

"Be strong and courageous.  Do not be frightened and do not be dismayed,
for The Lord your God is with you wherever you go." 
Joshua 1: 9


2 comments:

  1. Kathy I am forming a very strong prayer circle to surround you and pray for you. We are lifting you up and praying for peace and total healing. We have an awesome. GOD WHO ANSWERS PRAYER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping you in my prayers! Love you, cousin!

    ReplyDelete