February 5, 2013 was a day that will separate my life into the "before" and "after." The fifth of February - the day I learned that the word "cancer" would forever be a part of my life. It is my desire to live with Jesus Christ in the forefront of my life, and cancer in the background. The words in this blog are therapeutic to me. I hope that they will be uplifting to you. Blessings, Kathy Lollar

Saturday, October 12, 2013

RITUXAN ROUND ONE

The first Rituxan infusion was eventful.  I was given list after list of possible side effects of the drug.  I can attest to the fact that the side effect list was accurate.  I am extremely grateful that I did not suffer all the possible symptoms.  But, the reactions that I experienced during infusion followed the text book.

Two hours into yesterday's infusion, my body reacted to the monoclonal antibodies.  The unknown invaders caused my immune system to fight back.  Hosting this battle was not fun.  First, I began to notice aching and discomfort.  This was quickly followed by shortness of breath and shallow coughing.  My chest felt heavy.  I noticed that I was itching.  I looked at my chest and WOW!  I was covered with blood red splotches of rash.  I called out to Steve and he took a look at my face and I knew he was shocked.  Then I started feeling the itch.  My skin was on fire!  Steve called the nurses and the shock in their faces told it all.  (Then they started scratching themselves.  I knew I must look absolutely disgusting.)  I noticed feeling really bad.  This was explained when my temperature was checked.  Immediately, the drip was stopped and switched to saline.  For the next 90 minutes, I took tylenol for the fever.  They gave me so much benadryl that I should have been knocked out.  But, no! I was wired!  Then they gave me steroids.  Wired again.

An hour and a half later, I was given the go ahead to restart the Rituxan.  Hives and fever returned, but my breathing was not affected.  Temperature got a bit too high, so they called for the oncologist to come and check me out.  To this point, I had only received half the infusion and it was 4:00.  A decision had to be made about continuing the infusion.  My doctor expressed concern about my allergic reaction, and she suggested sending me home.  I told her that could continue the Rituxan.  I could take the itching.  She agreed to give me one more hour, but if I experienced any breathing problems, we must stop immediately.  So, the battle continued.

My nurses gave me more benadryl and an antihistamine.  The third time was the charm.  I was the last patient in the infusion center.  All the nurses watched my splotchy face and they all scratched their own faces.  4:15 - I asked the nurse to increase the drip.  She agreed.  4:30 - drip increased again.  4:30 - another increase.  Watching the drip.........watching the clock.  The magic time arrived and 15 minutes of fluid remained in the bag.  Another check with the doctor.  Both the oncologist and the nurse agreed to stay with me and we got ALL of the infusion done!  This was a huge victory for me.

It has now been over 24 hours since I left the Cancer Center.  Symptoms have come and gone all night and most of the day.  I hope to be over this by tomorrow.  They tell me that the worst reactions usually happen during the first infusion.  I pray that my body will adjust to this antibody and will accept it without the fight next time.  But, I am relieved to have these warrior antibodies in my bloodstream.  Fight away, my friends.  My body will be your host.  God will be your champion!

My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart 
and my portion forever.
Psalm 73 : 26



1 comment:

  1. Oh Kathy I will tell you the first one is usually the worst. I pray that the next one will not be as bad. My first one was high fever and continuous nausea and vomiting. I did have some skin rash and a terrible headache. I will continue along with everybody else to lift your name up in prayer. I pray your body will adjust. Today while. In church it made me happy to hear your name when we pray. Also your name is on the prayer chain where I work. WE HAVE AN AWESOME GOD WHO ANSWERS PRAYER! ......Pam bounds

    ReplyDelete