February 5, 2013 was a day that will separate my life into the "before" and "after." The fifth of February - the day I learned that the word "cancer" would forever be a part of my life. It is my desire to live with Jesus Christ in the forefront of my life, and cancer in the background. The words in this blog are therapeutic to me. I hope that they will be uplifting to you. Blessings, Kathy Lollar

Friday, October 11, 2013

RITUXAN, MEET THE HOLY SPIRIT!

Today is the day that I meet a new warrior, Rituxan.  Rituxan is a monoclonal antibody that targets the protein CD20, which is found on the surface of immune system B cells.  This particular protein is found on the tumor cells in Waldenstrom's patients.  The antibody attaches to the antigen and the malignant cell dies.  Because Rituxan targets only the specific protein, little damage is done to healthy cells.  This type of therapy has been used for the past ten years or so with Waldenstrom's patients.  The disease responds well to the treatment.

That is the layman's explanation of the battle that will begin in my body in just a few hours.  I study everything I can to enable this musical mind to comprehend the scientific details.  I know that my understanding is very vague, but each time I study, I understand just a little bit more.  I believe that knowledge is power and I want to understand every step of this new journey.

I believe that in all aspects of human existence, our Holy God is present.  He has sent his perfect, beloved Son, Jesus Christ, as a sacrifice for our sins.  Those who know Jesus Christ are filled with His other form, the Holy Spirit.

"The spirit is the One who is our intimate companion,
making Christ's presence real to us.
He brings us to the truth about Jesus and leads us to salvation.
He empowers us to live our daily lives.
He speaks to us.  He leads us.  
He prays for us.  He teaches us.
  He is, in fact, our Advocate in every aspect of our life.
(from Who Is The Holy Spirit? - Stonecroft Bible Studies)

Do you believe that God speaks through His children?  I certainly do.  I have received a message just this week.  A message from God, given to me in pieces from three of my friends.

  • Nancy Dye Molinar is an artist, a potter, a creator.  Recently I asked her to design an original cross for my wall to remind me of my fight against cancer.  My only instruction to her was that she include a green cancer ribbon (for Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma) and a pink cancer ribbon (for my friend with Breast Cancer.)  I have inserted a picture of the cross on the right side of this post.  The message she portrayed in her creation was that of a dove (representing the Holy Spirit) flowing into my heart.  Beautiful, I thought, but I did not understand the full meaning until this week.  
  • Randy McGuire is one of my dearest friends.  A tender, caring man with a heart for people and a heart for God.  Last Wednesday night before my first Velcade injection, Randy prayed a beautiful prayer for me.  I cried through most of it, but I specifically remember these words.  "As the drugs pour into Kathy's body, pour your healing spirit into her."  I have visualized this all week.  Scientific healing combined with spiritual healing.  
  • Jennifer Johnson Douglas.  The student has become the teacher.  Jennifer came into my elementary music class when she was nine years old.  As a teen, she sang in my private voice studio.  Today, she is a Godly mom of two precious girls who are a part of my West Texas Music Academy piano and voice program.  Jennifer is an athlete, a runner.  Last Saturday, I saw a facebook post that took my breath away.  As she was preparing to run a half marathon, she posted that her run would be dedicated in part to me.  She planned to pray for me as she ran one of her miles.  After the run, Jennifer came to me with a message.  She said, 
"Kathy, as I ran in the cold, I received a clear message from God.
All morning, I prayed for friends and family, but something was
different when I prayed for you.  God specifically told me this:  
When the Holy Spirit fills a person, it is like a fire coming in
to cleanse the body and soul.  Picture that as the cancer drugs are
being infused into your body.  God is filling you at the same time."  

I am honored that God chose to speak to me through my friends.  I am thankful that each of them took the time to speak their messages.  My Stevie and I are about to head to the cancer center for a day full of the unknown.  I am apprehensive, but I have absolutely no fear.  I  know who goes before me.  I know who stands behind.  I will accept this infusion and will receive healing both from medical science and from the God who created it.  

"If you love me, obey my commandments.  
And I will ask the Father,
and he will give you another Advocate,
who will never leave you.
He is the Holy Spirit who leads into all truth.
The world cannot receive him,
because it isn't looking for him and
doesn't recognize him.  But you know him, because he 
lives with you now and later will be in you."
John 14:  15 - 17






2 comments:

  1. Kathy thank you for sharing these powerful images and thoughts. God is on your side. Our God is an awesome God to send these 3 special friends with such a powerful message for you as you begin this part of your journey. Prayers and hugs for you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All glory will be given to him. You got this girl you rock. Your prayer angels are praying for you. Love you! ......Pamela bounds

    ReplyDelete