February 5, 2013 was a day that will separate my life into the "before" and "after." The fifth of February - the day I learned that the word "cancer" would forever be a part of my life. It is my desire to live with Jesus Christ in the forefront of my life, and cancer in the background. The words in this blog are therapeutic to me. I hope that they will be uplifting to you. Blessings, Kathy Lollar

Monday, January 6, 2014

I PICK THE PICC

     The irony continues. A girl with a lifetime of needle-phobia living with cancer of the blood!  I have to give myself a little pat on the back. I have really been a big girl. In the past year, I survived approximately eleven IVs and at least 30 blood tests.  Not to mention, I had a bone marrow biopsy and lived to tell about it. With God's help and comfort, no doubt. I could not have done this on my own.
     Things are getting a bit more challenging in the needle department. My healthy veins are becoming hardened with scar tissue. My visible veins just right for IVs are deteriorating.  The sticks are becoming more painful and my nerves are shot.  Today, I am asking for a reprieve. I have decided to have a PICC line inserted in my arm. I have been hesitant to do this because of the constant visible reminder of my "condition."  I deal with children every day and I don't want to worry them. But, it is time.  
     Yet MORE irony........ today's procedure involves needles!!!!!  Darn it, I can't get a break!  I wish that I could be blissfully knocked out, but NO...... just local anesthesia. To make things worse, as I was researching the PICC, I came across a YouTube video of the procedure. Well, of course, I HAD to watch it. Why did I do that?  Inquiring minds want to know, I guess. (Flashback to last year...... while preparing for my toe joint replacement surgery, guess what I did.  Yep!  I watched the video of the procedure.  To this day, I can only eat boneless chicken. Let your imagination run wild with that one!). 
     So, as of 2:00 today, I will be needle free through the remainder of my treatment. I am asking the Holy Spirit for comfort today as I anticipate the procedure. Please lift me up in prayer today. 

" Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be known to God.  And the peace of God, which passes all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and your minds in Jesus Christ."  Philippians 4: 6. 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment